The design process which has/will be followed in order to create the Hardware
for this project is known as the Rudimentary Design Process (RDP), which is
specified by Doug Write in Doug Writes Notes.
The Process outline is as follows:
- Brainstorm all possible solutions
- Select the best solutions (2-3) from the set created in
- Fully work through the selected solution to completion
working out all the problems with the
design, such that the feasibility of each solution is known. The RDP
process may have to be done recursively on each of the small problems with the
design until the idea is functional.
- Select the best design and go with it.
- Even some crazy ideas should be written down in
stage one as this facilitates the thought process and may lead to you or
someone else coming up with a great idea.
- Several RDP recursive sets may have to be carried
out if the hardware that is being built is complex and has a range on function
RDP for Security Bots:
- Drive Mechanism: a mechanism to rotate the camera
- Lock Mechanism: a mechanism to stop the effect of gravity trying the
reduce the potential energy of the system.
- It was discovered that Lego has a worm gear. The nature of a worm
gear is that is can only pass energy in one direction, hence creating a auto
locking system if the gravity for try's to move the system back to a state
with less potential energy. This piece also enables great gear
reduction in a compact form, hence it is the clear choice for the drive
mechanism and lock mechanism which means one piece can perform two functions
which is generally a strong indication of a good design.
- Combine 2 drive mechanism to create the 2 DOF (degree of freedom) system:
one of the primary requirements of the hardware is that is shall rotate the
camera about the center of its image axis.